Why New Ulm?
New Ulm is home to industries such as manufacturing, education, healthcare, agriculture, and small businesses. Our economic engine provides quality jobs, retail shopping, professional services, hospitality, dining, and recreational experiences. This website highlights business opportunities in New Ulm, contact details for city staff, and information on incentives to help your business succeed.
We are committed to these goals:
- Assisting and attracting businesses
- Developing a skilled and engaged workforce
- Providing a community that people want to call home
New Ulm offers municipal utilities including electric, natural gas, steam, water, and wastewater. Telecom services are offered through private companies including landline and wireless telephone, and high-speed internet.
Education and Training Resources
Career and Technical Education Center
New Ulm Public Schools is planning to open a new Career and Technical Education (CTE) Center during the 2021-2022 school year.
The CTE Center will:
- Provide students in high school exposure and access to the many Career and Technical Education (CTE) careers available in our region
- Allow students to earn credentials/certifications before leaving high school
- Provide adults a location to recertify/retrain, or gain technical skills in a particular trade or technical career
- Manufacturing/Fabrication – Wood, Metal, Plastic
- Trades – Construction, HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical
- Small Gas Engines
- Automotive (autobody and mechanic)
- Business Development/Eagle Enterprise
Big Ideas is a non-profit organization. Their mission is to provide opportunities for people to discover, explore, and learn technical and soft skills needed to succeed in skilled trades.
Building Permit Fees
Commercial Building Permit Fees (based on project cost)
$50,001 - $100,000 $643.75 for 1st $50,000, plus $7.00 for each additional $1,000
$100,001 - $500,000 $993.75 for 1st $100,000, plus $5.60 for each additional $1,000
$500,001 - $1,000,000 $3,233.75 for 1st $500,000, plus $4.75 for each additional $1,000
$1,000,001 & Over $5,608.75 for 1st $1,000,000 plus $3.15 for each additional $1,000
Plan Review Fee
Not all projects require a plan review. The need for a plan review is determined on a per project basis. Charge rate is based on 65% of building permit fee not including state surcharge.
State Surcharge (on all permits):
$1,000 - $999,999 Project cost x .0005
$1,000,000 - $2,000,000 Project cost x .0004
$2,000,000 - $3,000,000 Project cost x .0003
$3,000,000 - $4,000,000 Project cost x .0002
$4,000,000 - $5,000,000 Project cost x .0001
$5,000,000 & Over Project cost x .00005
Building Permit Fee + Plan Review Fee + State Surcharge = TOTAL BUILDING PERMIT FEE
This is not a complete list. Other charges may apply. For more accurate permit costs please contact the Department of Building Safety at (507) 359-8245.
Commercial and Industrial Utility Rates
Small Commercial Utility Rates
- Electric $16.00/month + $.1040 per kWh
- No current demand charges
- Natural Gas $10.00/month + $0.7889 per ccf
- Steam $6.00/month + $12.47 per M lb
- Water $3.40 per 1,000 gal. (up to 9,000 gal.) $3.74 per 1,000 gal. over 9,000 gal.
- Wastewater $6.75/month + $4.22 per 1,000 gal.
Large Commercial Utility Rates
- Electric $30.00/month + $.0775 per kWh
- Demand charges $8.60 per kW
- Natural Gas $26.00/month + $0.7661 per ccf
- Steam $10.00/month + $12.31 per M lb
- Water $3.40 per 1,000 gal (up to 100,000 gal.) $3.74 per 1,000 gal. over 100,000 gal.
- Wastewater $6.75/month + $4.22 per 1,000 gal.
Industrial Utility Rates
- Electric $50.00/month + .0650 per kWh + $12.10 per kW per month
- Demand charges $12.10 per kW
- Natural Gas $67.60/month + $0.6651
- Steam $15.00/month + $10.68 per M lb
- Water $2.98 per 1,000 gal. (up to 556,000 gal.) $3.14 per 1,000 gal. over 556,000 gal.
- Wastewater $6.75/month
- Flow Rate $1.72 per 1,000 gal.
- BOD Rate $0.26 per lb.
- TSS Rate $0.19 per lb.
- Phosphorus Rate $4.11 per lb.
This is not a complete list. Other charges may apply. Commercial and industrial utility rebates are available. For more accurate costs please contact Public Utilities at (507) 233-2121 ext. 401.
|3M Corporation||Electrical Equipment & Component Mfg.||700|
|New Ulm Medical Center||General Medical & Surgical Hospital||600|
|Kraft Foods||Dairy Product Manufacturing||495|
|New Ulm Public Schools - ISD 88||Elementary & Secondary Schools||306|
|Brown County||County Offices||275|
|American Milk Producers, Inc. (AMPI)||Dairy Product Manufacturing||252|
|J & R Schugel Trucking||General Freight Trucking||220|
|Hy-Vee Foods||Full-Service Grocery||216|
|MRCI||Work Opportunities for the Disabled||200|
|Cash Wise Foods||Full-Service Grocery||200|
|City of New Ulm||Local Government||181|
|Wal-Mart||General Retail & Grocery Store||180|
|Minnesota Valley Testing Labs||Analytical Testing Laboratory||170|
|Oak Hills Living Center||Assisted Living and Nursing Care Facility||168|
|Martin Luther College||Accredited Private College||158|
Source: New Ulm Area Chamber of Commerce