Locate your utility lines before you dig
Contact Gopher State One Call before you start digging on your property. This is a free service.
Call 811 or submit a locate request online by clicking here: Gopher State One Call
Before you put a shovel or a stake in the ground, stop and think about what might be underneath. Where is that power line that runs to my house and garage? What about my phone, cable, water and natural gas lines? There are many hidden lines underground that need to be marked to ensure that the area is safe to dig.
- At least 48 hours before you plan to dig (excluding weekends and holidays), call 811 or visit Gopher State One Call to submit a utility locate request. When you provide the information about your property and your project, Gopher State One Call will provide you with a ticket number and a start date and time. Your start date will usually be 48 hours after the call, as this will allow enough time for New Ulm Public Utilities locators and other utility locators to mark any underground utilities in your work area.
- If you plan to dig on a Saturday, ensure that you submit your locate request prior to 2:00 p.m. the previous Wednesday. This will allow facility operators to locate your public utilities and for you to have a valid ticket for your Saturday project.
- Please wait until the start date and time on your ticket to dig. Facility operators have until the start date and time on your ticket to locate their underground lines.
- Make sure your work area is outlined with white paint or flags, so the utility locators know where to mark. You can tie a white rag on a stake or paint it white -- anything that will get the attention of the locators. This will also prevent unnecessary markings around your yard.
- There may be several locators visiting your work site. They will mark utilities if there are any in the area, or they will leave a flag noting that the area is clear.
- After all the utilities have been marked, you may start your project. Make sure you hand dig carefully within 2 feet of any markings to prevent damaging the utility. An insulated wire or plastic gas line is no match for a steel shovel or wooden stake.
- If you do cause damage to a utility, look at the marking flag to get the number to call and report the damage. The facility operator will dispatch a technician to inspect and repair any damage. Do not bury or attempt to repair the damage yourself, as this could cause an even bigger problem in the future.
Always remember to contact Gopher State One Call before beginning any excavation project on your property. It's fast. It's free. And it's the law.
Types of work projects requiring a utility locate request to Gopher State One Call
- Clothesline pole
- Flag pole
- Gardening projects
- Sprinkler system
- Tree planting @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Cable TV service
- Drain tile
- Egress window
- Electric service
- Fiber/internet service
- Garage construction
- Gas service
- House addition
- Sewer service
- Stump grinding/removal
- Telephone service
- Water service @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>